Muslims Condemn Attack on Soldier in Woolwich
- May 5, 2013
- Posted by: FPM
- Category: News, Statement
- No cause justifies this murder
- A barbaric act that has no basis in Islam and we condemn this unreservedly
- Vast majority of British Muslims acknowledge armed forces for the work they do
- Calls for calm and unity in all communities
The Muslim Council of Britain this evening spoke out, in the strongest possible terms, the news of a horrific murder that has taken place in Woolwich, London. Eye-witnesses suggest that the murderers made Islamic slogans during their heinous action and were thus motivated by their Islamic faith.
This is a truly barbaric act that has no basis in Islam and we condemn this unreservedly. Our thoughts are with the victim and his family. We understand the victim is a serving member of the Armed Forces. Muslims have long served in this country’s Armed Forces, proudly and with honour. This attack on a member of the Armed Forces is dishonourable, and no cause justifies this murder.
This action will no doubt heighten tensions on the streets of the United Kingdom. We call on all our communities, Muslim and non-Muslim, to come together in solidarity to ensure the forces of hatred do not prevail. It is important we allow our police authorities to do their job without speculation. We also urge the utmost vigilance and ask the police authorities to calm tensions.
Please email firstname.lastname@example.org for follow-up media inquiries
- The Muslim Council of Britain is the UK’s representative Muslim umbrella body with over 400 affiliated national, regional and local organisations, mosques, charities and schools.
- Muslims speak out against terrorism: http://www.mcb.org.uk/article_detail.php?article=announcement-656
- Read ‘Remembering the Brave: The Muslim Contribution to Britain’s Armed Forces:http://www.mcb.org.uk/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=1071:remembering-the-muslim-contribution-to-britains-armed-forces&catid=40:press-release
Notes to Editors:
The Muslim Council of Britain is the UK’s largest Muslim umbrella body with over
500 affiliated national, regional and local organisations, mosques,
charities and schools. Finsbury Park Mosque is an affiliate of MCB
For further information please contact:
The Muslim Council of Britain
PO Box 57330
Tel: 0845 26 26 786
Fax: 0207 247 7079